Today we are making Mardi Gras masks the easy way with a printable Mardi Gras mask template. This easy Mardi Gras mask craft is great for kids of all ages to color, customize and decorate their own Mardi Gras mask.
Make a Mardi Gras Mask
The kids can color and customize their own masquerade mask for Mardi Gras with this free printable activity perfect for Fat Tuesday. Color, cut it out and put it together however you’d like. All you need is a little creative fun and you’ll be ready for the Mardi Gras celebrations in no time!
Get all dressed up for Mardi Gras and get ready to party with your own DIY Printable Mardi Gras Mask Craft.
Printable Mardi Gras Masks For Kids
Whether you’re headed to Bourbon Street in New Orleans or celebrating Fat Tuesday at home at your own Mardi Gras party, this masquerade mask is a fun Mardi Gras craft with free Mardi Gras mask template that kids (and adults) can make and wear.
Use the printable Mardi Gras mask templates as a starting point for your Mardi Gras Carnival ideas!
Print out this free Mardi Gras Mask Template
The free Mardi Gras mask template is made to be downloaded and printed on regular size printer paper – 8 1/2 x 11. Cardstock in this size works best for this Mardi Gras mask craft since it is sturdy and will give you a strong foundation to build your Mardi Gras mask. Cardstock is a bit thicker and will last a bit longer and can handle the wet elements of crafting a bit better than regular paper.
This is a fun Mardi Gras craft to do at home or to use in the classroom as a Mardi Gras party class activity.
Everyone can create their own unique mask with this printable Mardi Gras Mask craft.
Download & Print Mardi Gras Masks Template PDF FILE Here:
How to Make a Mardi Gras Mask with Template
Make your Mardi Gras face masks fit your personality.
- Want a gold mask? Green mask? Purple mask? or other Mardi Gras colors…
- What about transforming the printable template into a butterfly mask, domino masks or other masquerade ball mask ideas.
- Add a design element: feathers, fleur de lis, long nose, Mardi Gras beads, keep the white background and add some confetti.
Supplies Needed To Make Your Mardi Gras Mask Craft
Directions to Make DIY Mardi Gras Mask
Start by printing the free Mardi Gras mask template onto white cardstock and then following these steps to decorate and assemble.
Color each part of your mask including the feathers, flowers, and fake gems.
Cut out each piece of the Mardi Gras printables – the printable template not only has the mask outline, but also some fun embellishments you can use to decorate your Mardi Gras mask.
Then decorate the Mardi Gras mask with all the fun pieces you’ve colored.
If you’d like, use some glitter glue, glue on gems and add other fun embellishments to really make your mask sparkle!
Once you are finished decorating your mask, use the hole punch to create a hole on each side of the mask.
Tie some string through each hole and then you can tie the mask on to wear it.
Mask Options for Your Mardi Gras Party
- If you don’t want to tie the mask on, you can glue the finished mask to a stick and carry it, holding it up to your face when you’d like to show it off.
- We have also used a light elastic band to attach face masks successfully with comfort.
Wear Your Homemade Mardi Gras Mask!
Now, you’re ready to celebrate Fat Tuesday with your colorful and fun Mardi Gras mask.
History Of The Mardi Gras Mask
The Mardi Gras mask has been around for quite some time and actually signifies freedom. Each color means something different:
- Purple represents Justice
- Green represents Faith
- Gold represents Power
Mardi Gras masquerade masks were worn to allow the Mardi Gras participants to break free from class restraints and escape society’s expectations. This allowed those who celebrated Mardi Gras to be whomever they wanted to be and spent time with anyone regardless of status and class.
While many don’t know the history of why the masks became a thing, many still wear them today as it adds to the celebration, magic, and excitement of Mardi Gras.
So, lets make our own magical masks to celebrate!
- Hole Punch
- Color each part of your mask including the feathers, flowers, and fake gems.
- Cut out each piece of the Mardi Gras printables.
- Then decorate the Mardi Gras mask with all the fun pieces you’ve colored.
- If you’d like, use some glitter glue, glue on gems and add other fun embellishments to really make your mask sparkle!
- Once you are finished decorating your mask, use the hole punch to create a hole on each side of the mask.
- Tie some string through each hole and then you can tie the mask on to wear it.
If you don’t want to tie the mask on, you can glue the finished mask to a stick and carry it, holding it up to your face when you’d like to show it off.
More Mardi Gras Ideas From Kids Activities Blog:
Looking for more Mardi Gras celebration activities? Need things for a Mardi Gras party? This is the best place!
How did your printable Mardi Gras mask turn out? Let us know in the comments, we’d love to hear from you!